Saturday, June 6, 2015

Bang Bang Shrimp my style



This is one of the must haves when we go to Bonefish Grill for eat out nights. In fact I think this is one of their signature dishes. Every time I have Bang Bang Shrimp I would think that this dish will be taste better if they added some masago (fish roe) in it. I could even taste this dish in my mind and the little egg roes bursting in my mouth..Mmmm.. had to make it to see if my version tasted as good as it had in my mind, I googled to find what ingredients were used in this recipe and came up with my version and guess what it was simply AMAZING! My kids just loved it.

.

Ingredients

1 lb medium sized shrimp, cleaned, deveined and butterflied
1 egg white
3 tablespoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon all purpose flour
a bit of water if needed
some freshly ground black pepper
cooking oil for deep frying

for the Bang Bang dressing

3 tablespoon mayonnaise (I used Kewpie mayo)

1 tablespoon Thai sweet chilli sauce
1/2 tablespoon sriracha sauce, I added more for extra heat
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon sugar (can be omitted)
1 tablespoon masago or capelin fish roe

1 tablespoon finely sliced scallion or green onions
some tobiko (flying fish roe) for garnishing

Directions


1.  First mix all ingredients for the Bang Bang dressing in  a big bowl except for the sliced     
     scallions and tobiko and leave it aside.
2.  Next mix the cleaned and butterflied shrimps with the egg white cornstarch, all purpose        flour and freshly ground pepper. Add a little bit of water if the shrimps are too dry or you  
      can just leave it as it is. Keep it aside.
3.  Prepare a frying pan and heat the cooking oil on medium high heat.
4. When the oil is hot deep fry the shrimps in small batches. Once the shrimps are done, 
     remove them from the oil and place the fried shrimps on a kitchen towel. Repeat the  
     process with the rest of the shrimps.
5. Next add the fried shrimps and scallion into the Bang Bang dressing and mix well. Plate         the Bang Bang shrimps and garnish with some sliced scallions and top it with some     
    tobiko.

Note: You can purchase tobiko and masago from any Chinese, Korean and Japanese supermarkets.


No comments:

Post a Comment